Time to stand up to this damn thing.
I loved this from a friend: What will happen if you get the virus?”
“You’ll get the flu, feel bad for a while, recover, and go on with your life.”
That said, let’s go into something parents face right now.
On the off chance that some of you have school-aged children at home Caz of YTravelblog.com has excellent suggestions.
She has taught school for 8 years, and home-schooled her own kids for 12. In addition, she and her husband work at home. I think she is amply qualified to address this subject.
- For all the people who never wanted to home-school their children—I feel for you.
- For all those parents who have considered home-schooling—check out Caz.
- For all who home-school already, here is additional information to throw into the pie.
Kids at home:
That would have been a dream for me. Being home never bored me, but then I liked to draw, lived on a farm, had a horse I loved to ride, lived where I could go into the wilderness, and milked a cow every evening,
But most kids no longer live on a farm, and there are few Tom Sawyers who take off on a river raft.
But consider this:
- At home, there are no tests.
- There is the possibility of daydreaming without being scolded.
- Kids can take action for their own life.
- Learning is fun when it’s your personal discovery.
- Learn at your own pace instead of someone else’s.
- Learn about subjects they haven’t gotten around to teaching in school.
- Concentrated time with few distractions makes learning half as easy and twice as fast. (I know, away from friends is sad.)
- If bored—find something to do.
I know, I live in a different age where the computer is King, and dragging your kids away from the computer is like pulling a cat, with all 20 claws extended, out of a cloth bag.
Parents hang in there!
The greatest thing I got from Caz’s post was to let go of Resistance. How many times have I heard it, yet there I was, resisting. With the imposed quarantine I was afraid of losing (same as resistance) my concentrated work-time.
Sometimes I need a thump on the head.